Monday, March 7, 2011

Bird Cage Tutorial


I saw a simiar project online and just had to recreate it.  I really like birdies this time of year.
First I cut 6 strips of printed paper measuring .5"x12"
Then I stacked all 6 strips on top on one another.  Using a ruler I found the center and punched a hole.  Then I used a brad to attach the strips together.

For the base I used the lid from a Nutella jar.  Althought I don't have any idea why, but I have had it saved for a while now and was so happy to finally utilize it.  Then I measured the rim of the lid so I could cut an additional strip to cover it.  Mine measured .75" x 12" (I didn't quite need 12" but it's always better to have more than not enough)

Next I addred Sticky Strip (or you can use another very strong adhesive) around the lid.
In the background you can see that I spread the strips to form a sunburst sort of a shape.

To assemble the cage I started attaching the strips to the adhesive on the lid, one by one.  Make sure to leave an opening so you can more easily add the spanish moss and your birdie inside the cage.
One of the things I would do differently next time is attach the bird to the inside of the cage before attaching the top to the base.  It would make things much easier.  What I did this time, was punch two bird shapes (using my awesome Stampin' UP! punch) and sandwiched a string between them.  I used a silver cord, but a clear thread would look more like the bird is flying.  Then I tied the other end of the cord to the base of the brad (on top on of the cage), so my bird hangs in the center. 

Then I attached the last of the top to the base and covered the bottom with the strip I precut earlier. 

I also added a few flowers to the cage for an extra little touch.

Here are the latest "birdie" projects I created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment